The power unit of your car obviously works very hard and this is only possible thanks to regular servicing and with that in mind, here is a list of tasks when your car is ready for a service.
- Engine oil replacement – The engine oil should be replaced every 5-8,000 miles, depending on the manufacturer’s recommendation. The correct grade of oil must be used and with older vehicles, you might need to flush out the engine before pouring in the new oil.
- Oil & air filters – The oil filter is replaced when the oil change happens, while the air filter might be replaced or simply cleaned. These filters prevent foreign bodies from entering the engine, which could cause serious damage.
- Engine coolant check – If you live in the UK, you will need anti-freeze in the coolant during the winter and the level needs to be checked often.
- Check belt tension – There are a few drive belts on an engine and each should be inspected for wear, while also checked for correct tension. When you are looking for car repair in Wallington, the mechanic would check the timing and fan belt as a matter of course.
- Spark plugs – This does not apply to diesel engines; petrol engines use plugs to generate a spark for ignition and there would be one plug per cylinder.
All the information you need to carry out a service is contained in the owner’s manual and as you grow older, your car knowledge will improve.